These west coast games are fun, but man am I going to feel this in the morning. At least the result was desirable for the culture trying to be established in the organization with some wins. Let’s get to the thoughts for this one shall we?
- Alexander the Great. This guy was absolute found money. I’m very impressed that year after year, he’s shown massive improvement in areas of positioning, and his reflexes seem faster. Some of these saves might have been goals against in his call-up season in 2017-2018. How did no one draft him again??
- It never fails that when you miss on a grade A chance, the other team is bound to convert on their next grade A chance. Mika’s move to the net was powerful and looked promising, but Jones stood his ground. The short handed goal HAD to come from Hertl of course…can you believe that game was SIX years ago?
- Artemiy Panarin continues his dominance with his first hat trick as a New York Ranger. This guy is honestly underpaid.
- What isn’t interesting to watch though this game was that ABYSMAL defensive coverage by Trouba and Skjei on Couture’s goal. I don’t understand why Trouba vacates the net front to help out Skjei when that should either be the center or the winger’s responsibility. You left Georgiev out to dry there and it’s a tie game.
- Filip Chytil’s stick handling is God-like this season and it showed on that beauty of a between-the-legs deke and subsequent pass and even better finish by Fast.
- Chris Kreider missing a wide open net…why is this a thing this season?
- Fox had probably his weakest game as a Ranger tonight, I’m not worried, but he just didn’t seem to be doing what he normally does while holding the puck. I don’t know what he was doing on the power play that allowed Hertl to get a short handed goal.
- An atrocious line change allows a guy who hadn’t scored since Gretzky played to walk in and wire it past Georgiev. People who played the game, enlighten me, is that on the players coming off or the coach making the change?
- Kakko continues to get more confident each game and his skill set is coming into fruition. It’s good to see him shooting more and more.
- Mika Zibanejad was ridiculously missed. Goodness what a display of shooting from him tonight. Jones couldn’t have stopped either of his two goals because of great screens provided by other forwards. Can this guy be named Captain already PLEASE?
- A big reason the Rangers penalty kill has been better is their goalies are making saves, but since Mika has been back, there’s an upgrade there and the penalty kill is much better.
- Game, Set, Match, what a game. Worth it to stay up.
Follow me on Twitter @TylerRichard93"San Jose Sharks/Rangers Game Thoughts NYR (6 ) SJ (3 )",