This game was everything that you could have asked for as a fan of the Rangers. Long stretches of dominant possession, shots, cycling, and decent ability to stand up the opposition. This was also an emotional night for many for the Hockey Fights Cancer night and for the return of our favorite hobbit: Mats Zuccarello. Let’s break this one down and get to the thoughts shall we?
- Year after year, this organization absolutely kills it with the Hockey fights cancer pre-game ceremonies. Seeing kids going through what they are going through really puts things into perspective. Especially now that I’m a father myself, I cannot imagine what those families have to go through when kids are suffering that young. Here’s to finding a cure one day!
- I had to see the tribute for Mats Zuccarello unfortunately via Twitter because MSG decided that–arguably the most important night on a Rangers fan’s calendar other than opening day–didn’t need to air the video tribute in full. That’s some straight clownery on their part and should be ashamed of themselves seeing as how much of a fan favorite Zuccarello was whilst here in New York.
- Hank came to play in this one and it is beautiful to see him still able to perform at this level given his age, truly remarkable athlete and it is just unreal that he is now officially a top 5 goalie of all time in wins.
- Brady Skjei LOVES scoring against the Minnesota Wild and I always find it hilarious when guys score against the team from the state they were born.
- In the same breathe, man does Ryan Donato love scoring against the Rangers…
- Artemiy Panarin also continues to show his offensive dominance with yet another assist on the Skjei goal. That contract is a beauty and I still have to pinch myself from time to time that this guy gets to play for this team.
- I could watch Kakko protect the puck and out muscle everyone all day long.
- At the quarter mark if the season, is anyone else just SLIGHTLY concerned about Jacob Trouba? This guy was such a stud in Winnipeg and I find myself waiting for what I saw there here in New York. This goes back to the staff on hand I suppose and how they are executing the systems they are taught in practice, but Trouba is on pace for some pretty low point totals for a guy making THAT much money to not only defend, but score/create scoring.
- I found Chris Kreider guys! That’s exactly what this team needs him to do in the clutch and to help raise his trade value. Hopefully he goes on a tear a la Zuccarello last season.
- Adam Fox is undeniably the Rangers best defenseman, those moves right up into overtime were absolute filth against the Wild defenders. If only he made that shot…
- For a low scoring affair–in comparison to Saturday’s matchup–this was a pretty entertaining game on all fronts. You as a fan of course want to see the numerous chances from the 2nd period converted to goals, but I found myself being more excited and glued to the screen anytime the Rangers had the puck tonight.
- Seemed fitting for this game to end in OT, what a snipe by Tony DeAngelo
Follow me on Twitter @TylerRichard