Archive for Stats To Chew On
– Ryan Clowe ranked second on the Sharks in hits this year with 69. That total would put him fourth on the Rangers.
– Clowe ranked fifth on the Sharks in shots with 65. He’d be seventh on the Blueshirts.
– Before this season, here are Clowe’s power play points by year: 15 in 11-12, 13 in 10-11, 15 in 09-10, 24 in 08-09.
– Clowe has 45 points in 68 career playoff games including 18 points in 22 postseason appearances over the last two seasons. (Via @Mike_Rappaport)
– If Clowe was scoring at his career rate of 11.1%, he’d have seven goals. Read More→
– Over the last 19 games, New York is 10 for 52 on the power play.
– Arron Asham is the first player in NHL history to score a goal for each of the five teams in the Atlantic Division. (Via @Liam_McHugh)
– 11 of Mats Zuccarello’s 26 career NHL points have come on the power play, including 10 of his 18 assists.
– Zuccarello posted 11 goals and 17 assists in 44 games with Magnitogorsk of the KHL this season.
– Zuccarello is 5-10 lifetime in shootouts. Read More→
– The Rangers are just 4-10-1 against Eastern Conference opponents currently in the playoff picture.
– Chris Kreider has scored six goals and one assist for the CT Whale since being demoted just over two weeks ago.
– The Rangers are 11-5-1 when both Rick Nash and Marc Staal are in the lineup.
– The Rangers have allowed their opponents to score first in 18 of 28 games this season. They are 7-10-1 in those matches. (Via @RothmanHockey)
– Derek Stepan’s tying goal in the second period last night snapped a 129:55 team scoring drought. (Via @AGrossRecord)
– Rick Nash’s first 8 goals of the season came in the 3rd period. The only other player to do that: Arron Asham as a member of the Islanders in 2003-2004.
– The Ottawa Senators have beaten the Rangers 6 times in a row at Madison Square Garden. New York is 1-1-12 in its last 14 home games against the Senators.
– The Rangers went 10-2-2 in the second games of back-to-backs last season. They are 0-3-0 in those situations this year. (Via @RothmanHockey)
– The Blueshirts have scored power play goals in 5 of their last 6 games. The Rangers are 6 for their last 19 on the power play and 9 for their last 38.
– New York is 8-2-2 when scoring a power play goal this year.
– The Blueshirts are 8-3-1 when they don’t give up a power play goal this year. (Via @RothmanHockey)
– Marc Staal has 2 goals and 9 assists in 20 games this season. Staal had 2 goals and 3 assists in 46 games last year after he returned to the lineup from a concussion.
– Michael St. Croix ranks 9th in the WHL with 83 points (33 goals, 50 assists) in 66 games. Last year, St. Croix finished 8th in the league with 45 goals and 60 assists in 72 games.
– 6 of Carl Hagelin’s 7 goals this season have come while playing with Rick Nash.
– In case you were wondering, Nash’s 12 shots on Thursday were 7 shy of the NHL record held by Ray Bourque in a game against Ron Tugnutt and the Quebec Nordiques in 1991. Bourque scored on his 14th shot of that game. The last Ranger to have 12 shots in a game was Brendan Shanahan against the Islanders in 2008. Read More→
– The Rangers have scored 5 goals in their last 4 games.
– The Rangers have scored 7 power play goals as a team. James Neal has 8.
– Carl Hagelin has scored 6 goals in his last 7 games after going goal-less for 36 straight. Hagelin has scored in 4 games in a row and has 7 points (5 goals, 2 assists) in his last 4 games.
– Christian Thomas has 10 points in his last 11 games for the CT Whale after being scratched on January 20th. Thomas scored for the 4th time in 5 games on Sunday.
– Oscar Lindberg ranks 9th in the Swedish Elite League with 37 points (16 goals, 21 assists) in 48 games. Jesper Fast is just behind, ranking 16th with 18 goals and 15 assists in 41 games. Those numbers should be very encouraging given how low-scoring the SEL usually is, but remember that Mats Zuccarello won MVP honors 3 years ago with 64 points in 55 games and that didn’t turn out so well. Read More→
– Justin Schultz has 4 goals on the season; Rangers defensemen have combined to score 4.
– All 4 of Schultz’s tallies have come on the power play; New York has 4 power play goals as a team. David Clarkson, Patrick Marleau and James Neal already have 5 power play tallies each.
– If you see a Southeast Division team on the schedule, you should feel pretty confident. New York went 15-3-2 against the Southeast last year and is 2-0-0 this season. (via @Mike_Rappaport)
– Carl Hagelin went goal-less for 36 games but has now scored 3 in his last 4 contests. Read More→
*All playoff stats through three rounds
- Henrik Lundqvist posted a sparkling .930 SV% this season, a ratio that has only been achieved 14 other times in NHL history by goalies that have played 40 games or more. (via @b1rky)
- Lundqvist during the regular season: 39-18-5, 1.97 GAA, .930 SV%, 8 SO
- Lundqvist during the postseason: 10-10, 1.82 GAA, .931 SV%, 3 SO
- Goal support during the regular season: 2.7 goals per game
- Goal support during the playoffs: 2.15 goals per game
- Dan Girardi led all NHL defensemen in playoff scoring with 12 points (3 goals, 9 assists).
- The Rangers’ leader in Corsi rating for the postseason? That would be Boston College’s own Chris Kreider, who posted a 15.49 rating.