Washington Capitals (5) / Rangers (6) Game Thoughts
A back and forth contest lead to some pure joy and utter disappointment at times tonight. Zibanejad continuing his stellar season with a hat trick, Panarin racking up even more points, this was a game nail biter through and through. The goaltending could have been better tonight, but they battled and got the job done. Let’s get to the thought’s for tonight’s contest shall we?
- From puck drop, you knew this game was going to be a track meet. Chances back and forth, goals abound for both the Rangers and the Capitals, just about everything you’d want as a fan.
- No Rangers game is complete without a former Ranger scoring against them. Carl Hagelin got that off quite quickly. That was one Georgiev would absolutely want back as it beat him on the post short side.
- A BEAUTIFUL tip in goal by Zibanejad started this off for the Rangers. Panarin blasted one from the circle while on the power play low, and Zibanejad as the net front got a perfect tip on the puck to tie the game 1-1.
- Georgiev and Samsanov both didn’t have their best nights in goal, as Zibanejad would eventually get a 2-1 goal off a one-timer from the top of the left circle on a delayed penalty that most definitely should have been stopped by Samsanov.
- With every goal the Rangers had though, the Caps seemed to answer almost immediately as Ilya Kovalchuk would get his first goal as a Capital tonight.
- Tony DeAngelo also scored off a cross ice feed from Panarin. That guy is going to get THE BAG this offseason, he might be worth it…
- Mika Zibanejad would complete his hat trick in the 3rd off a backhand pass behind the net from Buchnevich to the crease and in.
- This game was not a defensive game by any means as both teams were giving up high-danger scoring chances from the slot and with the Caps playing the Flyers last night, you would have suspected them to not get as many goals as they did.
- Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time, but I was VERY surprised to see his shot go in against Georgiev, thank God Shesterkin seems to be superhuman and will hopefully be back sooner than later.
- Just a wild near end of the third when the Rangers were throwing pucks on net like crazy while the Caps were taking very bad penalties.
- Those power plays were proved costly as Zibanejad scored his fourth goal of the game off a Kakko shot off the boards and right to his stick.
- Alex Ovechkin would score with the net empty though to send the game to overtime, this game was destined for it. Having Marc Staal out there with the net empty was bold too as he let Ovechkin drift in and was left alone for a rebound. Rangers should try the “Don’t play Staal in the final minute of a game challenge”.
- This was the Mika Zibanejad game, MAKE HIM THE DAMN CAPTAIN TONIGHT!!!
- The Playoff hype train has left the station again, ALL ABOARD!
Follow me on Twitter @TylerRichard93