This was at first a snoozer of a game, but then became chippy, competitive, and dramatic. They finally get a shootout win this season, and Panarin made an unbelievably sick move in the shootout. Let’s get to the thoughts for this one shall we?
- I found it interesting that Georgiev was who Quinn decided to go with tonight. Georgiev has been quite pedestrian since Shesterkin got the call up and lessened Georgiev’s consistent playing time. Georgiev just couldn’t seem to get in position or react fast enough on some of the goals against tonight.
- This brings up a whole other point where you wonder what on earth the organization is doing to Henrik Lundqvist. Or they trying to play the kids so he waives his NMC? Or they hoping he retires? Will they buy him out? (Please for the love of God, do not do this Jeff). This just seems weird how much they are jerking Lundqvist around and putting his legacy in jeopardy. Marc-Andre Fluery is passing him in records due to his lack of playing.
- To further my point in my intro of the Minnesota Wild and their style of play, there is just little to no pace. They clog up the neutral zone, try to force turnovers, and take advantage of flat-footed defenseman from those turnovers. Makes for very boring hockey and all the more frustrating for how much they scored on Georgiev tonight.
- Panarin’s elusiveness when he has the puck on his stick is so refreshing to watch every game. He seemed to be the only Ranger who could figure out getting through the neutral zone without having to dump the puck in and hope for maintaining of possession from Strome or Fast.
- Speaking of Fast, can we have a conversation that he just does not look good with Strome and Panarin anymore? I know they don’t want to mess up the chemistry of Chytil and Kakko, but it would be nice for a more skilled player to be on the opposite wing of Panarin. Offense just seems to not be there for Fast.
- Tony DeAngelo continues his terrific offensive production with yet another assist tonight. This guy is going to play himself out of the organization if he’s not careful, he’s going to be awarded like $7 Million at arbitration.
- I was very disappointed in the power play opportunity tonight, that was a chance to get back in the game, and they were sloppy. Not generating a single shot on goal doesn’t help either.
- STOP PLAYING GREG MCKEGG WHEN YOU ARE DOWN A GOAL WITH 2 MINUTES TO GO!
- Mika Zibanejad needs to be this team’s captain as soon as possible, maybe even after this game. The guy is just solid in every category.
- Where would this team be honestly without Zibanejad and Panarin?
- Why didn’t Kakko play any OT time?
- I can’t believe they counted that Panarin shootout goal. That was filthy though beyond belief.
- Gutsy win for this group, let’s have more fun in Columbus!
Follow me on Twitter @TylerRichard93