Oh man…this was another tough game to watch. I was curious to see how the kids could do for a third straight game, but a strong start is not how this game finished. Following those string of fights/penalties, Ottawa came out swinging afterward. Let the thoughts fly!
- Sitting Marc Staal is still by definition the right thing to do for this year. While some believe the acquisition of Trouba and Panarin means this year is playoffs or bust, I still think the Rangers are a year away from getting in. They are doing the right thing by throwing the kids out though and seeing how they do against NHL talent.
- To add, while it’s true that Hartford is actually a place for talent to go this year than years prior–we all can recall how it used to be where prospects went to die–there’s something to be said about getting the kids NHL ice time against the best athletes in the game.
- Adam Fox to Kaapo Kakko forever and ever. Praise be.
- In all seriousness though, what awareness by Fox to get a hard pass to Kakko, and then in turn, Kakko to show great strength on his back hand to tuck it in. He has looked better and better each game.
- With all the good that the Rangers started with in this one, that first period became an absolute gong-show halfway through. I didn’t understand why Lemieux felt the need to fight Borowiecki (I had to make sure I had that right like 10 times), and Strome mixing it up with Tkachuk was equally as dumb. It’s so easy to blame the officials, but they’re ALWAYS going to call the retaliation, never the instigator.
- Brady Skjei taking that tripping penalty was just the icing on the cake in that sequence of senselessness. Anyone could have scored on that net Ennis shot at, it was a beauty of a pass he received.
- Jean-Gabriel Pageau continues to absolute haunt the Rangers fandom. I think our hierarchy of hate in recent playoff memories goes: Martinez, Henrique, Pageau.
- Artemi Panarin is such a superstar in this league, it’s nice to have a true power play weapon in the Rangers organization.
- Of course Namestnikov scores…just of course. It wasn’t his fault the coaching staff didn’t know how to properly utilize him here, but it still sucks to see him being so successful while playing on a top line somewhere.
- One loss closer to Byfield!
Follow me on Twitter @TylerRichard93"Senators/Rangers Game Thoughts",