Whew, man what a long week off. Can’t wait to do this again until Thursday! Let’s recap this game shall we?
- So Mika Zibanejad should skate in the fastest skater competition at the All-Star Game, that was impressive to start this game breaking away from McDavid.
- Why would you match Marc Staal against Connor McDavid? One of the slowest defenders in the league vs. the NHL’s fastest skater does not seem like a recipe for success.
- After so much time off, it’s only natural that the power play would look a little passive. Artemi Panarin doesn’t miss often from that left circle, but the first couple power plays, he couldn’t get the shot off the way he usually can.
- It is freaky how much of a possession monster Kaapo Kakko is. The ability to read Mike Smith’s movements and get that all important first NHL goal was what we all were waiting for since draft day.
- I am no Ryan Strome as a 2C fan, but he helps make that goal happen with that backhanded dime to Kakko to spring him to the net.
- Lias Andersson getting less than 5 minutes of ice time through 2 periods is INEXCUSABLE. If Quinn thinks he doesn’t belong, he needs to be getting as much ice time as he can in Hartford. Jerking him around at the NHL level playing with a defenseman playing forward and a replacement level forward and expecting him to somehow look amazing seems rather unfair.
- If you are going to only give Andersson this much ice time, by all means just dress Micheal Haley.
- I still don’t see what Howden has done to earn Quinn’s trust as much as he’s gotten in his two years with the Rangers. He is rarely in the offensive zone for a guy who could produce offense in junior. Him becoming 2C in the third period seemed odd as he didn’t stand out at all prior to that.
- It is amazing that after so many days off, Lundqvist is able to come out in a matinee and make some of the saves he made today. As David wrote earlier this week, the Rangers give up the blue line by design, but Lundqvist allows them breathing room when there are breakdowns and he makes some of the saves he’s made today.
- They are not ALWAYS going to score, but it is so nice to have a good looking power play for what feels like FOREVER. The skill on PP1 is some NSFW material anytime they are on the ice.
- In typical NYR fashion, McDavid finds himself on the scoresheet. Those deflecting-off-the-skate-while-trying-to-block goals have to be the most frustrating to not only give up as a defender, but you don’t have a chance in goal; even if you are Lundqvist.
- Adam Fox is so poised as a rookie defenseman. it’s crazy how he’s able to pass the puck out of the zone with accuracy and under pressure.
- I don’t understand why it takes so long for the refs to blow a play dead that now has costed the Rangers a goal against. Everything else was quick this whole game and now that?!
- All in all, a pretty dull game other than the Kakko goal. I don’t blame the Rangers looking rusty today, it was honestly inevitable with a 1PM start, and so many days off. This team will be so much fun to watch once we get a more rhythmic schedule.
- Edmonton is 5-0 huh? Hmm.
Follow me on Twitter @tylerrichard93"Rangers/Oilers Game takes",