Trade deadline madness, day one open threadMarch 4, 2014, by
For those of you without Twitter, today was a very eventful day as the trade deadline approaches tomorrow. The Rangers were quiet, with all focus on Ryan Callahan’s situation, but in a day where nothing much was expected, everything happened. None were on par with the St. Louis/Buffalo deal on Friday though.
The biggest trade was announced at 4:45pm EST, when Roberto Luongo went back to Florida for
Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthias. The full list of trades is below (or here if you prefer), and will be updated as things break on Twitter. Any moves the Rangers make will be bolded, and newer trades will be after the jump.
- The Florida Panthers Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthias to Vancouver for Roberto Luongo, with Vancouver eating some salary, and Steven Anthony.
- The Philadelphia Flyers traded Matt Mangene, a 2014 3rd round pick, and a 2015 2nd round pick for defenseman Andrew MacDonald of the Islanders.
- The Montreal Canadiens sent a 2014 5th round pick to Florida for Mike Weaver.
- Dustin Penner was sent from the Anaheim Ducks to the Washington Capitals for a 2014 4th round pick.
- That 2014 4th round pick Anaheim acquired was used to acquire Stephane Robidas from the Dallas Stars. The pick can move to a 2014 3rd round pick if the Ducks make it to the Conference Finals.
- Anaheim also sent Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for a 2014 5th round pick and a 2015 3rd round pick.
- Edmonton then sent Ilya Bryzgalov to the Minnesota Wild for a 2014 4th round pick.
- The Ottawa Senators sent Jeff Costello to Vancouver for Patrick Cullen.
- The Carolina Hurricanes have re-signed goalie Anton Khuboden to a two-year, $4.5 million deal ($2.25 million annually).
- The Phoenix Coyotes have sent David Rundblad and Mathieu Brisebois to the Chicago Blackhawks for a 2014 2nd round pick.
- The Coyotes obtained Martin Erat and John Mitchell from Washington for Chris Brown, Rostislav Klesla, and a 2015 4th round pick.
Use this as your open thread for the night to discuss the deadline madness. Expect some news out of the Rangers when Cally re-signs. Other than that, I’d expect them to be quiet.