Thoughts following the Rangers second preseason game
The Rangers second preseason game has come and gone, and this one was at least a little closer than Monday’s dismantling of the dismal Islanders. The Bruins didn’t have most of their top guys, and neither did the Rangers. There was enough to see some of the Rangers battles play out, with Jimmy Vesey again separating himself from other bottom six hopefuls.
This one is going to be short and sweet, as I’m battling a migraine right now. I’m still in preseason form too.
- Alexis Lafreniere on RW, you love to see it.
- Jimmy Vesey looked comfortable on the top line, and he had another good game. My money says he gets a contract. The fun question is whose spot did he take?
- I’m intrigued by Vincent Trocheck. It’s clear he plays the way Gerard Gallant wants this team to play. That much we know. But he has a lot more to his game than I realized.
- Jaro Halak looked good, hopefully he will stabilize the backup goalie position.
- It wouldn’t be a Rangers game without some blood from Ryan Lindgren.
- The Rangers had another game where, for the most part, they were generating more offensive chances and zone time. On the Adam Fox goal, you saw how Trocheck protected the puck from two Bruins before dishing to Fox for the goal. Very similar to how Kaapo Kakko protected the puck on Monday before the Zac Jones goal.
- Vitali Kravtsov looked good again. For those who enjoy sports betting, he might be a good value bet for Calder.
- I honestly forgot Jarred Tinordi exists. He’s the 8D right now. Scary thought.
- The Rangers have only cut 5 players so far, so I’d expect more on Wednesday.
That’s it for the Rangers second preseason game. Sorry folks. Migraines aren’t fun.