After a long stretch of good play from the Rangers, you knew the regression would eventually come. You absolutely loathe the fact it was against an Alain Vigneault coached team and it cannot be understated how important Sunday is going to be. A few boneheaded plays and an unfortunate loss cost the Rangers this one. Let’s get to the thoughts on this one eh?
- After that awesome comeback, and after learning that the Rangers arrived in Philadelphia at 2AM this morning, you knew it was a strong possibility they wouldn’t bring it all tonight. The Flyers were well rested having not played since Tuesday, so you almost expect the rested team to beat the team on little rest.
- The highlight of the game from a Rangers perspective was the immaculate pass from Panarin to spring Fast on a partial breakaway. Threw the puck from the face-off dot to the other blue line right on Fast’s tape, and Fast batted in a rebound from the air for the opening goal. Following this goal though, it was all Flyers.
- It started when Brendan Smith broke his stick. He stayed out in front to be a body that could block lanes, but Trouba foolishly followed Jake Voracek behind the net, vacating his net front positioning and leaving Smith and Georgiev out to dry. Voracek threw a cross crease pass to Sean Couturier and Georgiev had no chance on it. I partially blame Trouba on this one due to his lack of awareness of Smith’s vulnerability and leaving a passing lane wide open for the opposition. Easy goal.
- The Rangers luck would only worsen from here on out. Chris Kreider blocked a shot, and left the game with a fractured foot. Knowing how these injuries typically play out, you hope Kreider can be ready in time for a potential playoff run. A 30 goal season once again evades him while on pace for one.
- Just how Georgiev made every save imaginable last night, so did Carter Hart for the Flyers in this one. Gave up very little rebounds whereas Georgiev–having played last night–seemed to not be able to control the rebounds like he normally did. I would have gone with Hank in this one only because of the back-to-back situation. Wonder if we see him on Sunday?
- While Quinn again loaded up his top line tonight by putting Panarin with Zibanejad, it was just not enough tonight. The Flyers had the puck all night it seemed. There is a reason they are such a dominant home team. Vigneault apparently learned how to utilize rosters since he left New York.
- The officiating in this one was absolutely abysmal for both sides.
- Remember all the praise I said about Marc Staal last night? Throw it in the garbage. This was his worst game in a long time. Pretty sure he was on the ice for every goal against both on the PK and even strength.
- First loss in a while, but be prepared for Sunday. It’s been well documented this season how this team responds after a loss.
- With Kreider out, I wish Quinn would have thrown out Gauthier on the power play as a net front guy. Given his size and scoring ability everywhere he goes, it would have been good to see a preview of what is to come for him and his development.
- Speaking of Sunday, Kravtsov SZN?…
Follow Me on Twitter @TylerRichard93