The details of Chris Kreider’s contract have been made available publicly,
Chris Kreider: 20-21 $2M + $8M SB ($10M total), 21-22 $3.5M + $6M SB ($9.5M total), 22-23 $1M + $5M SB ($6M total), 23-24 $4M + $2M SB ($6M total), 24-25 $5M, 25-26 $4M, 26-27 $4M + $1M ($5M total) No Move 20-21-22-23-24, no trade 24-25-26-27 @NYRangers
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) February 25, 2020
This is a little tough to read, so here are the bullet points:
- Year 1: $2 million salary, $8 million signing bonus, NMC
- Year 2: $3.5 million salary, $6 million signing bonus, NMC
- Year 3: $1 million salary, $5 million signing bonus, NMC
- Year 4: $4 million salary, $2 million signing bonus, NMC
- Year 5: $5 million salary, NTC
- Year 6: $4 million salary, NTC
- Year 7: $4 million salary, $1 million signing bonus, NTC
The Rangers wouldn’t be looking to trade Kreider until that 5th year at the absolute earliest, so this is a team friendly deal from that perspective.
Also worth noting that most of Kreider’s money is in the first four years, with only $14 million to be paid out in the final three years. That makes Kreider very movable in those final years if need be, as mentioned on the podcast.
Overall a solid contract for both player and team.