Well the Rangers haven’t played in a bit, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have random ramblings going on in my head. Let’s be real, my head is a dangerous place to be. They are in action tonight though, so here’s some thoughts to get you through to 7pm.
1. I am not overly concerned about the offense. I know the club isn’t scoring, but this team is too skilled to continue not scoring for this long. It seems that everyone is struggling to score at the same time, which is unfortunate but also not that uncommon. This will balance itself out over time.
2. As for the defensive zone play, the Rangers seem to be doing a better job at covering the home plate area. The system is going to take time to get used to, but at least we have an idea of what the coverage will look like. The Blueshirts will concede the outside shot and keep the middle covered. That’s Hockey 101, and fine by me.
3. Henrik Lundqvist has been outstanding to start the season. The Hank truthers will say all that matters is wins, but let’s be real, that doesn’t matter so much this season. Hank has shown his haters that he’s still an elite level goaltender in this league. His numbers will come back down to Earth eventually, and hopefully that coincides with the learning curve on the new system, so we won’t see too much of a drop off.
4. I like the competitive attitude of this team. It was something that appeared to be missing over the past two seasons or so. The Blueshirts will skate to the last whistle, and comebacks are becoming part of the norm. That’s a good quality for a young team.
5. As of now, this is the best situation for the Rangers. They are competitive, they are staying in games, but they are coming up just short for the most part. It instills a competitive nature in the kids, one where they don’t give up and still chase wins, but they don’t get points and get a higher pick. It’s a rebuilding year, so it’s tough to stomach that, but it really is the best case. So far.
6. This schedule to start the season has been weird. Back to backs and then no games for multiple days in a row. Just weird.