With the deadline to ask players to waive no move clauses coming up at 5pm tomorrow, and the expansion draft coming just one week later, the rumors are coming in from every direction. Some have a lot of information, others do not. Let’s see if we can summarize some of the tidbits flying around.
- Per Elliotte Friedman, Scott Arniel interviewed with Buffalo and Florida. I’m assuming it was for their head coaching gigs. Doesn’t look like he got the job at either team though.
- Also per Friedman, there’s a lot of smoke/connections between Lindy Ruff and New York. Apparently he was contacted to join Alain Vigneault’s staff, presumably as an assistant, and not as a future replacement. Just what the Rangers need – another coach who refused to adapt to the changing NHL.
- There are conflicting reports that the Rangers are out on Ilya Kovalchuk (Larry Brooks refuted it). I don’t think the Rangers are serious players here. They won’t want to give up what the Devils are asking for, plus would need to dump another contract. They don’t need to spend more cap space on forwards. Fix the defense.
- Speaking of Brooks, he published an article earlier this morning that had a lot of info that revealed so little. First is that Tyson Barrie (Colorado) and Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg) are both potential targets. Barrie has three years and $5.5 million remaining on his deal, and has solidified himself as a top-pairing defenseman who can play all situations while on a terrible team. Trouba the same, but his team is mediocre, not terrible. Acquiring one will be of significant cost.
- Interesting to note that Sami Vatanen and the Ducks were not mentioned as a player/team the Rangers are targeting. Sometimes there is more value in what is said than what is not said. Just making a point.
- Neither Marc Staal nor Dan Girardi were asked to waive their no-moves leading up to the expansion draft, as of yet, also per Brooks. That doesn’t bother me. If Jeff Gorton can get Vegas to take Holden –thus not really needing a spot to protect him– over a forward, I’m all for it. They can still buyout Girardi or Staal after the expansion draft.
- Again per Brooks, Winnipeg/Calgary have contacted the Rangers regarding Raanta. I don’t think Raanta gets taken in expansion, but I think Calgary makes a perfect fit for a potential entry-draft deal at the end of June. Like Talbot, Raanta is replaceable and the Rangers need draft picks.
- Last bit per Brooks: No qualifying offer expected for Brandon Pirri or Adam Clendening. Neither will be Rangers next season. Not a surprise, neither played towards the end of the season.
Enjoy your gorgeous (and HOT!) Sunday folks.