Well, free agency is upon us. The Rangers don’t have much cap space to work with, as they still need to get Derek Stepan, Emerson Etem, J.T. Miller, and Jesper Fast under contract. When those four are signed, the Rangers will have 11 forwards and 6 defensemen, meaning they need a pair of forwards and a defenseman to fill out the roster.
That’s not to say they will go after free agents to fill those spots. It looks like the Rangers want to keep Matt Hunwick around as the 7D, who was pretty solid in that role last year. There are also a few kids –Brady Skjei, Dylan McIlrath, Oscar Lindberg, Ryan Bourque– vying for NHL spots next year. The holes in the roster may be filled by these kids, or they may be filled by a depth signing.
My guess is that the Rangers will look to add one depth forward via free agency on a one-year deal. Someone like Mike Santorelli or Shawn Horcoff, depending on price, are intriguing. Tomas Fleischmann is also a decent option.
Use this as your open thread for the day. Becky will be updating this with all signings across the league during the afternoon, and I will be back at night to do the night cap. There will be a blackout with no updates between 4:30-6pm EST.
- Yesterday, Brandon Saad went to Columbus for Artem Anisimov, Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp and a fourth-round pick.
- Also yesterday, Kevin Bieksa went to Anaheim for a 2nd round pick.
- Francois Beauchemin signs with Colorado on a three-year deal.
- Matt Hunwick signs with Toronto to a two-year, $2.4M deal.
- Mike Ribiero re-signs with Nashville to a two-year deal.
- Mikael Granlund re-signs with Minnesota to a two-year deal.
- Karri Ramo re-signs with Calgary to a one-year, $3.8M deal.
- Mark Letestu signs with Edmonton.
- Phil Kessel traded to Pittsburgh for F Kasperi Kapanen, D Scott Harrington and a first- and a third-round pick. Toronto will also eat 15% of Kessel’s salary.
- Barrett Jackman to Nashville
- Michael Frolik signs with Calgary to a 5-year, 21.5M deal.
- Jori Lehtera signs a 3-year extension in St. Louis worth $12.3M.
- Michal Neuvirth signs a two-year deal with Philadelphia worth $3.25M.
- Lauri Korpikoski went to Edmonton for Boyd Gordon, this happened yesterday.
- Jhonas Enroth signs a one-year deal with Los Angeles for $1.25M.
- Rafael Diaz signs with the Rangers to a one-year, $700k deal.
- Matt Lindblad and Jayson Megna sign with the Rangers.
- Cody Hodgson signs to a one-year deal in Nashville.
- Andrej Sekera signs with Edmonton to a six-year deal with an AAV of $5.5M.
- Vancouver trades Zack Kassian to Montreal for Brandon Prust and a fifth-round pick.
- John Moore signs with New Jersey for three years, $4.8M.
- Paul Martin signs a four-year deal with San Jose.
- P.A. Parenteau signs a one-year deal with Toronto.
- Viktor Stalberg signs with the Rangers for one year, $1.1M.
- Ruslan Fedotenko signs with Minnesota on a two-way deal.
- Richard Panik re-signs with Toronto for a one-year deal.
- Mike Kostka signs with Ottawa on a two-way deal.
- Mike Green signs with Detroit to a 3-year deal worth $18M.
- Matt Beleskey goes to Boston on a five year deal at a $3.18 million cap hit.
- Daniel Winnik re-signs in Toronto on a two-year deal.
- The Rangers trade a 2017 6th round pick to Nashville for goalie Magnus Hellberg.
- Big one: Bruins trade Reilly Smith and Marc Savard to Florida for Jimmy Hayes.
- Antoine Vermette goes back to Arizona, two years at $3.75 million per season. He gets a NMC too.
- Gregory Campbell goes to Columbus.