So my DVR did not record the game yesterday. Apparently I set it to record the YES network by accident, so there won’t be a goal breakdown for last night’s game. My apologies for that.
Some quick thoughts based on watching the highlights:
- Don’t like how they blew a 2-0 lead, but they finally showed some urgency when Kreider tied it up late on the powerplay.
- The Devils are one of the better puck possession teams in the league, and it showed. They had a shot attempt lead throughout regulation. At 5v5, they wound up with a 51.1%-48.9% advantage. At 5v5 close, it was a 50/50 split.
- On the OT winner, it looks like Hank didn’t see it right away, and had a late reaction. That’s usually a shot he stops if he sees it the whole way. He’s probably upset with himself on that.
- Both goalies seemed to have rebound control issues last night. Four goals were scored off rebounds.
- Nice to see both Zuccarello and Kreider continuing to contribute.
- Richards may not be useful in the defensive end anymore, but he still can contribute offensively. What a shot.
- Losing Marc Staal is rough. Hopefully it’s not a long term thing.