Talbot shuts out Bridgeport again; Whale on verge of advancing

Connecticut Whale 3, Bridgeport Sound Tigers 0

By Brian Ring

Bridgeport, CT, April 21, 2012 – The Connecticut Whale defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-0, Saturday night in the second game of their best-of-five Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series at the Webster Bank Arena.

The Whale bumped their lead to two games to none over Bridgeport, who face elimination in Game Three slated for Sunday in Hartford (5:00 PM).

Cam Talbot was excellent in goal for the second straight game, becoming the first goaltender in franchise history to notch back-to-back shutouts in the postseason with a 41-save performance. Talbot has stopped 83 straight shots to begin the playoffs, and is the first AHL goaltender to begin a playoff season with back-to-back shutouts since Michael Leighton, then of the Norfolk Admirals in 2004.

Marek Hrivik scored his first two postseason goals of his pro career for the Whale, and Casey Wellman added two assists to lead the Connecticut attack.

“For the most part we’ve been very patient and eliminated those unforced errors,” said Whale head coach Ken Gernander. “We make them earn it. We did a good job eliminating second and third opportunities and Cam did a good job on the initial saves.”

The Whale turned the momentum of the game right away, killing off an early five-on-three Bridgeport power-play just minutes into the first period. The penalty kill, combined with the play of Talbot, helped to stifle the Sound Tigers, who were held without a goal in five man-advantage attempts on the night.

Jonathan Audy-Marchessault put the Whale up 1-0 just 5:32 into the first period, as he picked off a pass from Sound Tigers defenseman Jon Landry. Audy-Marchessault skated in and shot on goaltender Kevin Poulin (27 saves), who made the initial save, but could not stop the rookie forward’s rebound attempt. Audy-Marchessault’s first goal of his pro playoff career came unassisted.

Talbot continued his strong play in goal, building on Thursday’s 42-save shutout in Game One with 13 first period saves, to remain perfect through four periods of play.

Hrivik would extend the lead to 2-0 6:44 into the second period, converting a pass from Wellman in the slot.

The Sound Tigers outshot the Whale, 28-20, through two periods, but Talbot continued to dazzle Bridgeport with 70 straight saves through five periods in the series.

Hrivik buried his second goal of the night with 5:45 left in the game on the power-play, skating in on Poulin down the left-hand boards and firing a shot over his stick side. Wellman picked up his second assist of the game on the goal.

Talbot would hold the lead the rest of the way, continuing to stone the Sound Tigers.

“I’m just trying to give us a chance to win every night and the guys are coming through with some big goals,” said Talbot. “The biggest thing is we’re getting balanced scoring from every single line.”

The Whale and Sound Tigers will resume their playoff series Sunday night at the XL Center for Game Three, with Bridgeport on the brink of elimination (5:00).  Tickets for Sunday’s game are available at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, through TicketMaster Charge-by-phone at 800-745-3000, and on line at www.ctwhale.com.  Upper-level tickets for first-round home games are only $5 each.

Connecticut Whale 3 at Bridgeport Sound Tigers 0
Saturday, April 21, 2012 – Webster Bank Arena

Connecticut 1 1 1 – 3
Bridgeport 0 0 0 – 0

1st Period-1, Connecticut, Audy-Marchessault 1   5:32. Penalties-Miller Ct (holding), 1:10; Newbury Ct (roughing), 1:24; Wishart Bri (tripping), 6:35; Oleksy Bri (cross-checking), 13:54; Haley Bri (interference), 17:51; Donovan Bri (cross-checking), 19:38.

2nd Period-2, Connecticut, Hrivik 1 (Wellman), 6:44. Penalties-Deveaux Ct (kneeing), 3:39; Wellman Ct (tripping), 14:02.

3rd Period-3, Connecticut, Hrivik 2 (Wellman), 14:15 (PP). Penalties-Nightingale Ct (holding), 0:57; Ullstrom Bri (roughing), 13:01; Redden Ct (roughing), 15:40; DiBenedetto Bri (roughing, roughing, misconduct – unsportsmanlike conduct), 15:40; Deveaux Ct (misconduct – unsportsmanlike conduct), 16:19; Grant Ct (roughing), 16:19; Cizikas Bri (misconduct – unsportsmanlike conduct, game misconduct – abuse of officials), 16:19; Donovan Bri (roughing), 16:19; Ullstrom Bri (cross-checking), 18:58.

Shots on Goal-Connecticut 12-8-10-30. Bridgeport 13-15-13-41.
Power Play Opportunities-Connecticut 1 / 7; Bridgeport 0 / 5.
Goalies-Connecticut, Talbot 2-0-0 (41 shots-41 saves). Bridgeport, Poulin 0-2-0 (30 shots-27 saves).
Referees-Jamie Koharski (84), Jon McIsaac (39).
Linesmen-Luke Galvin (2), Brent Colby (7).


Show More
  • Back to top button