The Rangers released the Traverse City roster yesterday, and with that comes the unofficial start of hockey season. The Traverse City Tournament is the first bit of hockey we get,
but unfortunately it isn’t televised (update: this will be streamed on the FOX Sports Go app). The tournament precedes the preseason, so it’s our first look at some of the kids that may compete for a roster spot. Some thoughts:
1. The roster this year is light years ahead of last year’s. There is significantly more talent up front and on the blue line. That should lead to a potential stronger showing this year. However the guys in goal (Chris Nell, Jeremy Brodeur) aren’t Alex Georgiev.
2. I am particularly excited to see, or read, how Lias Andersson and Filip Chytil do. They are the two on the roster expected to make the Rangers squad in October. This is their first step in impressing management and the coaching staff to ensure they land in New York.
3. Ty Ronning could be a sleeper here. I expect him to start the year in Hartford, but I also expect him to have a good showing in Traverse City. I wonder if we see him paired with one of Andersson or Chytil. The thought of that, and potentially the other center paired with Tim Gettinger, gets me giddy.
4. All eyes are going to be on Libor Hajek and Ryan Lindgren on the blue line. I fear both of they are going to get derailed by the hype machine, but both are expected to look solid in this tournament. They are likely playing this year in the AHL as well, but this is the first look we are going to get at them.
5. Brett Howden is a guy that could sneak onto the Rangers roster as a bottom six center. That all begins at Traverse City, but right now he’s slated to be the 3C (Andersson/Chytil are 1A/1B). I think most of the sleeping on Howden is because of Andersson and Chytil, but he’s another first round pick. I wonder who he gets on his line.
6. I find it funny that Brodeur’s kid is on the roster. Wonder if Marty will be in the stands?"Quick hits on the Traverse City roster",