Another day, another few hours closer to the draft. These days drag because we know something is coming, but we don’t know what or when. The Rangers are expected to be busy, hopefully before the draft because I have a wedding during the draft. Anyway, here’s just some ramblings I’ve been thinking about lately.
1. It is entirely possible to think that 1) The Derek Stepan/Antti Raanta for the #7 and Tony DeAngelo was a bad trade, 2) The Rangers reached for Lias Andresson at #7, and 3) Lias Andersson will be a good hockey player. I believe all three. However in this black and white world of absolutes –remember that only a Sith deals in absolutes– you aren’t allowed to believe two of these, let alone all three. Let’s live in the grey people. Both in hockey and in life.
2. I’m intrigued to see what the Rangers do with Ondrej Pavelec. Do they re-sign him as a veteran backup? That gives Alex Georgiev time in the AHL as a full time goalie. Or do they let Georgiev backup Hank? I know we focus so much on other aspects of the roster, but this is an important one as well.
3. I’m also very intrigued to see what happens with the kids after they make their first mistakes. It’s been so long since we were able to watch kids make mistakes without being benched for the rest of the game. What is the breaking point for a benching? What is the breaking point for a healthy scratch? These are things we are going to learn as the season wears on.
5. It’s interesting looking at mock drafts, because outside of Dahlin/Svechnikov, no one has any idea what is going to happen. Some have Wahlstrom sliding to 9, others have him going 3 and Zadina slipping to 7. It’s funny to see. That may be a good reason to stay put and not trade up, since there is no consensus and everyone is viewing each prospect differently.
6. I really hate the rule that goalies can’t be captains. Henrik Lundqvist should have the ‘C’ next year."Some Tuesday thoughts",