Thoughts following last night’s win in DallasNovember 22, 2013, by
I know you just had the musings yesterday, but I have a bunch of thoughts I want to share that aren’t worth a full post. Deal with it. Here’s some thoughts following the Rangers 3-2 win in Dallas last night…
- Is there really anywhere to start but with Hank? The King was absolutely out of his mind last night. Watching the game, there were several times I found myself gasping at his awesomeness. Dare I say he out Tuukka’d Tuukka’s performance from the other night. Hank’s positioning was spot on, he tracked the puck exceedingly well, and he hung with very tough second and third chances. He was an absolute wall.
- Man, it’s nice to have Rick Nash back. I absolutely love watching the guy play. His size, speed, and fluidity are all sorely missed when he’s out of the lineup. He has this way of just mesmerizing opposing D-men as he nonchalantly glides into the zone. I can totally understand why sometimes his teammates just stand around and watch him.
- Marty Biron is such a quality addition to the post game crew. He’s incredibly articulate and obviously has a wealth of experience around the game. He is able to see things in the modern system that guys like Duguay and Maloney didn’t experience during their playing days. Terrific hire by the MSG crew.
- What is with Ranger pundits’ obsession with team toughness? First of all, its such an incredibly vague term that two adjacent bloggers talking about it could easily have completely different concepts in mind. If a team can possess the puck, pressure the opposition physically, all while generally controlling the play, who cares if they have fighters or guys who can spend half the game in the box “defending” their teammates.
- I believe that the key to Brad Richard’s resurgence has been the return of his first step. He looks so much more explosive when he takes off after a puck, or joining the rush on a transition. He still needs to be bought out, mind you, but he could have a key role to play for this squad before he goes.
- I hate Kari Lehtonen’s stance.
- Chris Kreider needs to shoot more. Kid’s got a nasty wrister (yes, I know his goal was deflected) and needs to use it.
- I’m in agreement with Suit (crazy, huh?) on MDZ’s decision to pinch last night. If that’s the type of play AV wants his defensemen to make, you can’t fault Del Zotto for being aggressive. It looks ugly on the replay, but we barely notice it when it works and the pressure can continue to be applied in the offensive zone. Brassard also sliding over was the bigger mistake there.
- Isn’t it weird that 22 games in, we are still yet to see a shootout? Also, only one overtime game?
- Henrik Lundqvist. That is all.