- Injured Ranger Derek Dorsett led the NHL with 235 penalty minutes last season. Dorsett ranked third in the league in fighting majors behind Brandon Prust and Shawn Thornton.
– Mats Zuccarello has 13 hits in six games this season. He had eight hits in 10 games last year and 56 in 42 games two years ago. (Via @Herman_NYRBlog)
– The Rangers are 5-4-1 in back-to-back sets and 2-3-0 in the second game of those sets.
– In the second game of back-to-back sets during his career, Henrik Lundqvist is 40-17-7 with a 1.91 GAA and a .933 SV%.
– Derek Stepan has four goals and four assists during his current five-game point streak. Stepan has 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) in his last 21 games.
– The Blueshirts are 12-4-2 when they don’t surrender a power play goal.
– New York is 12-2-1 when scoring first this season.
– The Rangers are just 7-10-2 on the road this season.
– Arron Asham has not been on the ice for an even strength goal against in 122:43 over 19 games. (Via @RangerSmurf)
– The Rangers are 11-5-1 when both Rick Nash and Marc Staal are in the lineup.
– Lundqvist does not have a shutout after recording 19 over the last two seasons.
– Last night broke Lundqvist’s 10-game streak of allowing two goals or fewer. (Via @AGrossRecord)
– Rick Nash ranks fourth in the NHL with 146 shots on goal.
– Lundqvist ranks eighth in the NHL with a 2.13 GAA and sixth with a .926 SV%.
– Brian Boyle ranks sixth in the league with 138 hits. Ryan Callahan is ninth with 131.
– Dan Girardi is fifth in the NHL with 98 blocked shots.
– The Rangers have 42 points in 39 games this season, which puts them on pace for 51 points. We projected it would take 53 points to make the playoffs this year.
– New York’s current pace would put the team on track for 88 points in a full 82-game season. The Blueshirts racked up 109 points last year.
– The Blueshirts had 56 points after 35 games last year.
Status of the Atlantic Division rivals
Penguins: 58 points. Next 5: @Car @TB, @Fla, vsMon, @Bos
Islanders: 42 points. Next 5: vsPhi, @Bos, vsNYR, vsFla, @Tor
Devils: 40 points. Next 5: vsBos, vsOtt, @Tor, @Phi, vsFla
Flyers: 37 points. Next 5: @NYI, vsOtt, @Buf, @Mon, vsNYR
Recent ex-Ranger watch
Brandon Prust – 30gp, 5g, 6a, +13, 90PIM
John Mitchell – 38gp, 9g, 8a, +7
Brandon Dubinsky – 21gp, 1g, 10a. Missed Sunday’s game with the flu.
Artem Anisimov – 30gp, 10g, 6a, -7
Tim Erixon – 26gp, 0g, 5a, +3. Remains out with an “upper-body” injury.
Ruslan Fedotenko – 38gp, 4g, 9a, +9. Leading the Flyers in plus/minus by six.
Wade Redden – 23gp, 2g, 3a
Mike Rupp – 33gp, 1g, 3a, 65PIM
Jeff Halpern – 37gp,1g, 2a, -4.
Marian Gaborik – 38gp, 10g, 12a, -7. Scored a goal in his first game with the Blue Jackets, set up by Brandon Dubinsky.
– New York is ranked 24th in goals per game, 4th in goals against, 20th on the power play and 16th on the penalty kill.
– New York has only scored 28 second period goals this season, second-fewest in the league.
– 5 teams are averaging more shots per game than New York’s 31.2.
– Only the Panthers have scored fewer goals on the road than New York’s 35.
– The Rangers have scored the second-fewest road power play goals in the league with seven.
– Only Toronto has more hits than the Rangers’ 1177.