– Rick Nash’s first 8 goals of the season came in the 3rd period. The only other player to do that: Arron Asham as a member of the Islanders in 2003-2004.
– The Ottawa Senators have beaten the Rangers 6 times in a row at Madison Square Garden. New York is 1-1-12 in its last 14 home games against the Senators.
– The Rangers went 10-2-2 in the second games of back-to-backs last season. They are 0-3-0 in those situations this year. (Via @RothmanHockey)
– The Blueshirts have scored power play goals in 5 of their last 6 games. The Rangers are 6 for their last 19 on the power play and 9 for their last 38.
– New York is 8-2-2 when scoring a power play goal this year.
– The Blueshirts are 8-3-1 when they don’t give up a power play goal this year. (Via @RothmanHockey)
– Nash has points in 10 straight games (7 goals, 9 assists). Nash has scored at least 1 point in 16 of his 20 games this season.
– The Rangers are 13-6-1 with Nash in the lineup and 0-3-1 without him.
– Brian Boyle’s goal on Sunday was his first since April 16, 2012. Leading up to that goal, Boyle had scored in 4 straight and had potted 8 goals in 12 games.
– Boyle’s goal was the first by a 3rd or 4th liner since Asham’s goal in the 11th game of the season on February 10th. (Via @NYDNRangers)
– The Rangers are 66-0-3 when leading after 2 periods over the last 3 seasons. (Via @JapersRink)
– The Rangers are 20-4-2 in their last 26 games against Southeast Division opponents, including a 5-1-0 mark this season.
– Ryan Callahan is 8th in the NHL with 84 hits.
– Dan Girardi is 8th in the NHL with 64 blocked shots.
– Henrik Lundqvist is 9th in the NHL with a 2.24 GAA. He ranks 7th with a .921 SV%.
– The Rangers have 28 points in 24 games this season, which puts them on pace for 56 points. We projected it would take 53 points to make the playoffs this year.
– New York’s current pace would put the team on track for 95 points in a full 82-game season. The Blueshirts racked up 109 points last year.
– The Blueshirts had 33 points after 24 games last year.
Status of the Atlantic Division rivals
Penguins: 36 points. Next 5: vsBos, @Tor, vsNYR, vsWash, vsBos
Devils: 29 points. Next 5: vsPhi, @Phi, vsMon, vsNYR, @Car
Flyers: 25 points. Next 5: @NJ, vs@NJ, @TB, @Pit, vsNYR
Islanders: 25 points. Next 5: @TB, @Fla, vsOtt, vsMon, vsPit
Recent ex-Ranger watch
Brandon Prust – 25gp, 4g, 5a, +13, 81PIM. Out 2 weeks with a separated shoulder.
John Mitchell – 23gp, 8g, 5a, +8
Brandon Dubinsky – 15gp, 1g, 7a, 39PIM. Expected to return to the Blue Jackets lineup tonight after missing 11 games with an MCL sprain.
Artem Anisimov – 19gp, 6g, 2a. Out with another lower-body injury.
Tim Erixon – 18gp, 0g, 4a
Ruslan Fedotenko – 27gp, 1g, 7a, +6
Wade Redden – 15gp, 2g, 2a
Mike Rupp – 23gp, 1g, 2a, 32PIM
Team rankings entering last night’s games
– New York is ranked 18th in goals per game, 6th in goals against, 23rd on the power play and 11th on the penalty kill.
– The Rangers are 8th in the NHL with a faceoff win percentage of 51.3%.
– New York has only scored 15 second period goals this season, second-fewest in the league.
– 7 teams are averaging more shots per game than New York’s 30.2.
– The Rangers have already played 15 home gomes so these stats are a little misleading, but the team ranks first on home ice in hits and blocked shots.
– New York ranks third overall with 723 total hits.