Musings: Sports Biz Secrets, Uninformed Bloggers, & More Ryan Talk (Updated)December 1, 2011, by
Let’s get to it…
Sports Biz – Did You Know?
- There’s always a lot of fuss over Forbes’ annual rankings of the NHL’s supposed franchise values. What often doesn’t get mentioned is that few sports teams are tied to publicly traded companies, so a lot of these figures are pure guesstimates and not actually lifted from the books.
- On top of that, these values are based on announced prices of sold franchises, which are grossly overstated (figures can include fees, taxes, debt, etc.). They also base these numbers on reported attendance figures, which include comp tickets, plus all of the people working in the venue such as team staff, press members, etc.
Uninformed Undermining Success
- If the Rangers lose to the Hurricanes, will everyone’s praise for this team turn to scorn? Maybe elsewhere…
- Speaking of which, how come McDonagh & Girardi make a couple of boneheaded plays against the Penguins -that actually lead to two goals-but Michael Del Zotto gets the brunt of blogger frustration?
- Now, I’m not saying MDZ should be immune from criticism. However, he does deserve praise when he makes the right play, and I’m not finding too many people offering that side of the equation. For example, he started the play on 2 Rangers goals against Pittsburgh. Anyone mention that anywhere?
- There is an element of internet fans that do not know hockey beyond their basic passions, but are delivering “analysis” to all of you that is neither fair, nor well-informed. I hope you all are recognizing the difference: Blue Seat Blogs = a fine Cabernet, some of these other sites = boxed wine.
- Sorry, I’m drinking an aged birthday gift as I write this…
The Kid With Two First Names From Jersey
- I’m not sure if Ducks GM Bob Murray planted trade rumors in the press regarding Bobby Ryan to motivate him, or to test the market to see what his value is – it could just be a bunch of smoke – but if he is moved my money might be on Toronto. If there is any GM aggressive enough to make a move of this nature at this juncture in the season, it is the man who drafted him…Brian Burke.
- As far as the Rangers go, it’s interesting that fans are labeling Kreider & McIlrath as untouchables, but not Christian Thomas or J.T. Miller (2011 1st rounder) for that matter? Is the media coverage & hype playing a role here? Perhaps.
- We put up a poll to your right that is somewhat facetious about this whole Bobby Ryan rumor. No matter, place your vote!
- *** Last night Caryle was fired and was replaced by Bruce Boudreau (boy that was fast). If I’m Murray I might wait to see what Boudreau’s thoughts are on Ryan before moving him. Get a fresh perspective. Thoughts?