So much for transformation huh?
I don’t want to make this some drawn-out bitter post, which seems to be the Modus Operandi today, so here are a few thoughts about last night’s loss.
- What do you make of Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov? Dubi was great controlling the puck down low and working the forecheck early in the game. After the second he was skating into double/triple coverage with his head down and losing the puck with ease.
- Anisimov didn’t show up until the final minutes and his turnover on one of the goals was a carbon copy of Dubi’s turnovers. It was like watching two Scott Gomez’s out there. Enjoy the 4th line Arty…
- Can anyone on this team pass the puck besides Brad Richards? Does anyone else have any hockey sense?
- I feel like every line was throwing the puck into their teammates skates last night. Their positioning wasn’t much better. When you’re bumping into your teammates on the rush or while cycling, you’re not in the right spot.
- The one thing I did like was the 4 on 3 powerplay. Torts had them playing a diamond. I thought it generated some good puck movement and a few good chances. I especially liked how he brought one of his pointmen in to crash the net. They didn’t score on the play, but the Leafs made the coverage mistake, so I guess you could say it was good tactic.
- Michael Sauer looked great and routinely had to cover up for Del Zotto’s mistakes. His sliding save on the empty net was just awesome. Great read by him.
- Del Zotto had one goal (should have been two), but other than those two plays, he was pretty bad. Still, credit Torts for throwing him back out there on the power play and the empty net situation. I figured Torts would have ripped him a new a** and benched him. Instead he told him to wipe his face and get up again.
- Girardi and McDonagh each had their moments defensively (both got caught out of position in the OZ), but other than a few mistakes, I thought they played okay. I’d keep that unit together.
- Eminger and Erixon couldn’t move Lombardi (5’10) or bean pole Tim Connolly out of the crease. Time to hit the gym fellas.
- Hank you are forgiven.
- Please refer to yesterday morning’s musings. Nuff said…