Another week has passed and steadily all the Rangers prospects are getting well into their respective seasons. So far this year some Rangers have excelled themselves while others have struggled out of the gate. Dylan Mcilrath is one such player struggling. His Moose Jaw Warriors have stumbled out of the gate and after 9 games they held a 2-7 record. Mcilrath, while not drafted for offense, hasn’t gotten going and is pointless thus far. Meanwhile he sits with an unhealthy -8.
Positive news is the continued excellence of Scott Stajcer. Its been discussed that the young goalie needs a good season to fast track in his development and his start couldn’t be much better. After 5 starts Stajcer is a perfect 5-0 holds an excellent 1.60 GAA and his .952 save percentage shows its not just Stajcer behind a tight defence.
Players that are excelling offensively so far include Christian Thomas who is scoring for fun to start the year (8 goals, 13 points, + 6 in just 5 games), Ethan Werek who had 9 points and 5 goals in just 5 games as well as Roman Horak who had an excellent 11 points in just 4 games. Thomas in fact sits 3rd in the OHL in scoring while Werek is in the top 25. While Thomas’ goals have propelled Oshawa to top in the East Division, Werek’s Kingston side are finding the going slightly tougher going 3-3-1 to sit 3rd in the same division.
With the NCAA hockey underway there’s some key Rangers prospects in focus there too. With his penalty filled season debut behind him Carl Hagelin has got back to scoring and now has 3 points (1+2) in his first 3 games for Michigan. Meanwhile blue chip prospect Chris Kreider was held scoreless in his season debut for Boston College. Kreider will be looking to build on a dream first NCAA season but wont be satisfied in a season debut that saw him register just two shots. Over in Europe, recent draft picks Mikhail Pashnin (’09) at CSKA Moscow and Jesper Fasth (’10) at HV71 are both scoreless so far this season in 5 and 7 games respectively.
A quick overview of some of the Rangers prospects:
- Ethan Werek; Kingston Frontenacs, OHL: 5 GP, 5G, 4A, 8 PIM, +1
- Ryan Bourque; Quebec Remparts, QMJHL: 4 GP, 2G, 2A, 5 PIM, +3
- Roman Horak; Chilliwack Bruins, WHL: 4 GP, 5G, 6A, 2 PIM, +2
- Christian Thomas; Oshawa Generals, OHL: 4 GP, 8G, 2A, 0 PIM, +6
- Dylan McIlrath; Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL: 7 GP, 0G, 0A, 18 PIM, -8
- Scott Stajcer; Owen Sound Attack, OHL: 5-0-0, 1.60 GAA, .952 SV%
- Chris Kreider; Boston College: 1 GP, 0G, 0A, 0 PIM, Even
- Carl Hagelin; Michigan: 3 GP, 1G, 2A, 17 PIM, +1
- Roman Psurny; HC Slovan Ustecti Lvi, CZ 1.Liga: 9 GP, 5G, 1A, 6 PIM, +4
- Mikhail Pashnin; CSKA Moscow, KHL: 5 GP, 0G, 0A, 4 PIM, -2